Missing school means your child misses out on vital information and maintaining learning routines. This can result in a loss of confidence and missing out on forming vital friendships.
Attendance is recorded each day. As a parent or caregiver you are responsible for ensuring your child attends school every day, including sports days unless your child:
- has an unavoidable medical or dental appointment (preferably these should be made after school or during holidays)
- is required to attend a recognised religious holiday
- is required to attend an exceptional or urgent family circumstance (such as attending a funeral)
- is sick, or has an infectious illness.
Students need to attend school regularly to meet the course requirements of the Higher School Certificate.
If you are having difficulty getting your child to attend school regularly, you might like to talk to the school principal or the school counsellor.
If your child has to be absent from school for any reason, including arriving late or leaving early, please either tell your child's teacher or the administration assistant at our school, or explain the reason by phone, email, or written note as soon as possible and within seven days.
Application for Exemption from Attendance
Parents of school aged students, aged between 6 and 17 years, who intend for their child to take an extended period of leave from school during term (ie. 5 school days or more), are required to make formal application to the Principal.
Reasons for granting full day exemptions include:
- exceptional domestic circumstances, including but not limited to, participation in family holidays during school term, subject to being satisfied that this is in the best educational interests of the child;
- age, where a child turns six years in October or later in a school year and is engaged in full time preschool education, participation in full or part-time accredited preschool programs for student with disabilities leading to enrolment at a government or registered non-government school, health or disability of a child necessitating the continuation of an individual program supported by medical specialists, participation in a full time apprenticeship or traineeship;
- training for elite sport, elite sport or tour event;
- other exceptional circumstances, such as health of the student where sick leave or alternative enrolment is not appropriate.
Please use the link below to access the Application for Exemption from Attendance. This application needs to be completed by the student's parent/guardian and returned to the Principal seven days prior to the student taking extended leave.
Further enquiries can be directed to the school during school hours on 43925000.
3.1 Exemption - School (pdf, 68 KB)
3.2 Exemption - TAFE (pdf, 69 KB)
3.4 Exemption - Elite Sport (pdf, 148 KB)